If you have been looking for a way to make some extra spending money, like talking to people, or just want to try something new, you should really give mystery shopping a try! I have been doing this for about four years now and I can say I really enjoy it. I have primarily slowed down to just dining mystery shops lately, but am hoping to get back in gear soon.
One main thing you must remember….you will NEVER be asked to give money in advance with LEGIT mystery shopping companies. This does NOT happen!
So what does a mystery shopper consist of?
- The primary thing I can point out….you need to have a pretty good memory so you can go back later and report your shop the same day.
- A lot of shops require you to have some sort of interaction with a salesperson to test their knowledge
- A timing device, this is especially true with dining shops. Most companies do let you use a cell phone timer now.
- Usually the higher the earning, the more work you will be doing (which is to be expected) and some you really need to weigh whether it is worth it and how valuable your time is
- Some companies do require extensive narratives so you should have some good writing skills
- BE HONEST! These companies do have cameras to go back and check to make sure everything you said was accurate.
- Be reliable These companies expect you to arrive on time and on the day you requested. They have deadlines to meet just like every other business.
I thought I would provide a list of some companies I currently work with, and ones I have in the past. Remember, not every company will have something in your area, but it does not hurt to sign up so you can be notified if something new gets added. One thing I can unfortunately not do is tell you the names of the businesses using these services, but I can tell you, you can literally mystery shop anything from dining, hotels, retail, etc. and there are plenty of big name companies using this service.
Here is a list of companies I have worked with so far:
- Bare International
- Beyond Hello
- Circle of Service
- Corporate Research International
- DSG Associates
- Maritz Research
- Market Force
- National Shopping Service
- Quest for Best
- Reality Based Group
- Second-to-None Mystery Shopping
- Service Sleuth (HS Brands)
- Strategic Reflections
Along with some ones I have not had experience with:
- All-Star Customer Service
- AMA Enterprise, Inc
- Amusement Advantage
- Ann Michaels & Associates
- Confero, INC
- Coyle Hospitality Group
- Customer Service Experts
- Data Quest Limited
- Impact Marketing
- In-Touch Insight Systems
- JM Ridgway
- Measure Consumer Perspectives
- Mercantile Systems
- North Fork Research, Inc
- Northwest Loss Prevention Consultants
- Pinnacle Financial Strategies
- Quality Assurance Consulting, Inc
- Remington Evaluations
- Shoppers Critique